Model: A. Miss Linda disliked Porcharlester.
B. That is not true. Linda couldn’t have disliked him. On the contrary, she must have been fond of the young man. If she hadn’t been fond of him she wouldn’t have invited him to her house.
1. Mark Twain was very popular as a writer with the rail way officials at Salamanca.
2. Uncle Seneca disliked young Frank after the first talk they had.
3. Miss Linda hated Colonel Green.
4. After Linda married Colonel Green, she still cared for Porcharlester.
5. Miss Bradley only went to Italy to see her sister.
6. Mr Balchin found Miss Bradley a remarkably interesting companion.
7. George was quite pleased with his life in the United States.
8. Mr Wilson was quite indifferent to George’s future.
VIII. Translate into Russian. Pay particular attention to the use of Subjunctive II (f 21, p. 487).
1. I wish the child were not so restless. She can hardly sit quiet for a moment. 2. I wish she hadn’t been so nervous at the exam. She couldn’t answer a single question. 3. I wish she hadn’t picked up a man like that for a friend. 4. I wish I could travel long distances without getting car-sick. 5.1 wish the girl cared more for her music. It’s so difficult to make her practise the piano. 6. I wish you would take over the job. It’s really very interesting.
IX. Practise aloud.
1. I wish I knew what’s wrong with him. 2. I wish he were responsible for the work. 3.1 wish you had taken a pic ture of the museum. 4. I wish we could make a non-stop flight. 5. I wish you would treat them in a more friendly way.
6. I wish nothing unexpected would happen.
X. Use a wish-ciause instead of the italicized parts of the sentences and make any other changes that are necessary.
1. It’s a pity he is so shy, he hasn’t made friends with any body here yet. 2. It’s a pity he was not very careful when he gave his talk. 3. It would be a good thing if we could engage two more typists. 4. It's a pity she was so upset to hear the news. 5. It would be a good thing if I had no engagements this weekend. I could join your camping party. 6.1’m sorry