7. The author left the custom house without waiting for Miss Bradley; he had been sitting in his compartment five minutes when the porter brought in his luggage, saying that Miss Bradley had got through the customs, too, without any special difficulty.
an incident, an accident, a case, in case (of), an occasion
a) Answer these questions.
1. Can we call an important event an incident?
2. Do you remember, any interesting incidents from your last holiday?
3. What must you do before crossing the street to avoid accidents?
4. What would you call a difficult case in a doctor’s practice?
5. What would you call a happy (sad) occasion?
6. In what case would you place an advertisement in a news-
n what case would you put up a notice?
Вам следовало бы помочь им в случае необходимости (necessity). 2. Должно быть, это особый случай. 3. Что бы вы сделали в подобном случае? 4. В этом случае лечение, по-видимому, не принесет пользы. 5. Может быть, с ним произошел несчастный случай. 6. Вы, должно быть, читали в газетах о таких инцидентах. 7. Случай оказался очень забавным.
c) Think of a beginning.
I. ...There must have been an accident. 2. ...You should have told us about the incident when everybody was here.
3. ...It may be quite a different case. 4. ...In that case I would have apologized
to att.act, attractive
a) Answer these questions
1. What kind of film (books, people, etc.) attract you?
2. What would you do to attract the attention of a person standing at a distance from you?
3. What makes a person attractive?