lived among the French for several years,” said Peter, “I could ... a Frenchman at sight." 3. The brothers are so much alike that 1 can hardly ... one ... the other. 4. "1 can always ... a good student ... his attitude to his work," said the teacher.
V. Choose the correct word. ' *
1. If you’re interested in this kind of problems, 1 can (to suggest, to offer) you quite a remarkable novel to read. And there’s a play on dealing with the same prob lem. 1 (to suggest, to offer) that we (to go) and see it one of these days. I can even (to suggest, to offer) (to buy) tickets; the box-office is quite close to my house. 2. “Why are you all (alone, lonely) in the office?” “I’m not as a rule, hut Mary’s (away, out) just now, and Comrade Rogov’s (away, out) on business.” 3. Wouldn’t you like to call on Helen tonight? Her children are (out, away) at a pioneer camp, and she always feels (alone, lonely) when she's left (alone, lonely). It would be a good idea to go and (to encourage, to cheer up) her now. 4. The girl felt so upset after her failure that she would have given up singing if her friends (not to encourage, not to cheer up) her and (to encourage, to cheer up) her to go on with her studies.
VI. Make up situations, using the following words and word combinations.
1. to choosc against one’s will, to want smb..to do smth., lo devote, to be beyond one’s ability, to argue, strong-willed, (not) to give m, to succeed;
2. to be away, lonely, reserved, to suggest, to call on, to appreciate;
3. to have a habit of, mark, to see smb. do smth., to suggest, to apologize;
4. to be (feel) uncomfortable, to remark on, to suggest, to remove, to appreciate;
5. a strange manner, to tell by, to persuade somebody, to give up the habit, to argue, finally, to convince.
VII. Make a written translation, using the active vocabulary of the lesson.
I. Разве вы не знаете, что Анна четыре года училась, чтобы стать певицей? Если бы ей не пришлось посвятить себя семье, она не бросила бы пение. 2. Он уже две недели отсутствует и не прислал еще ни одного письма. Я пред лагаю послать ему телеграмму и выяснить, в чем дело. Мне бы не хотелось, чтобы его родители беспокоились о нем.