de N. would have attended to the matter himself. If he’u attended to the matter himself, ... 3. If she’d apologized to him at the time, he wouldn’t have felt hurt. If he hadn’t felt hurt, ... 4. If she went to him for advice, he would help her in the matter. If he helped her in the matter, ...
V. Translate into English, paying particular attention to the use of articles and the pronouns some and any (Tables 2, 3, 4, p. 493, 494, 496).
I. Мясо старое. Мне не хочется (я не расположена) его покупать. 2. Я читал где-.то, что мясо не очень полезно (хорошо) для людей старше 40 лет. 3. Вы предпочитаете кофе или чай? 4. Кофе недостаточно горячий. Я не люблю такой кофе. 5. Передайте мне, пожалуйста, сахар. 6. У нас нет сахара. Не забудь купить сахару, когда пой дешь в магазин. 7. Мне кажется, хлеб не совсем све жий. 8. Я бы совсем не ела белого хлеба, если бы была такой полной, как она. 9. Я бы добавила соли в суп. Где соль?
VOCABULARY EXERCISES Stage I
I. Answer the following questions, using the active vocabulary of the lesson.
1. Suppose Stephen had looked like a young Frenchman, would Chester have spoken to him? Would he have sug gested lunching together?
2. Suppose Stephen had lived in Paris for a year and was not lonely, would he have accepted Chester’s invitation? How would he have behaved?
3. Suppose Harry Chester had been a cheerless, gloomy- looking man of fifty, would Madame Chobert have argued with him? What would she have done?
4. Suppose Chester had not guessed that Stephen was a University man, would he have mentioned that he had almost gone to Cambridge himself? Would he have spo ken about his family?
5. Suppose Chester had looked upon Stephen as an ordina ry young man, would he have hurried to introduce him to Lambert? Would he have mentioned that his new friend had just come down from Oxford?
II. Substitute words and word combinations from the text for the italicized parts.