mous actress was to arrive in the town, and posters were put up everywhere on the occasion. 4. He would occasionally turn up at his parents’ place, always arriving unexpectedly.
b) Answer these questions.
1. What did Colonel Green decide to arrange on the occasion of his birthday?
2. Who did the Colonel invite for the occasion?
3. Was an amateur performance only an occasional event at Colonel Green’s place?
4. Did Colonel Green study horn-blowing regularly or only occasionally?
5. Would he have succeeded if he had only taken occasional lessons? *
c) Complete these sentences, using the Subjunctive Mood.
1. If they had known about the arrival of the actress, they ... (for the occasion). 2. If Jim’s mother had received an occasional letter from Jim, she... (not feel hurt). 3. She wouldn’t complain if... (occasionally). 4. The party is an exciting event for your daughter. If I were you, I’d... (for the occasion).
to dear up
a) Practise aloud.
1. He intended to clear up the matter, but failed. 2. The difficulty hasn’t been cleared up yet. 3. We shan’t go out unless it clears up. 4. Will you clear this up for me, please?
1. He insists on... (to clear up the matter). 2: They com plain that many things... (not to be cleared up yet). 3. L won der why they avoid... (to clear up the matter).
I. Все уже выяснено. 2. Нам хотелось бы выяснить этот вопрос. 3. Ничего еще не выяснено.
to settle, settled, unsettled
1. We’ll think the matter over before settling it linally.
2. It isn’t yet settled whether Mr Brown will be appointed director of the institute. 3. If you fail to settle things your selves, get in touch with Professor Smith. 4. If I were you, I'd settle here for good.
8 Бонк H. А. и др, н И 225