tell Greer» or not, as he knew that the Colonel was in love with Linda too, and hated to hurt him.
4. The two parted, and Colonel Green remained in the shadow of the house, stiff with cold and fear. It was hard for him to hold out long because not a sound came from Linda’s open window.
5. Linda had been listening to the Colonel for quite a time before she showed that she recognized the serenade.
6. When the servant saw the Colonel in the shadow of the tree, he held out the letter to him without saying a word, and the Colonel walked home.
7. Colonel Green realized that Miss Linda had made a mistake, and he decided to get in touch with Mr Porchar lester to let him know the truth.
Stage II to succeed (in)
1. The scientists succeeded in making a number of new discoveries. 2. Frankly I don’t think she’ll succeed as an actress. 3. If he had made another attempt, he would have succeeded.
б) Use a synonym.
1. Ann is sure to do well at the job. 2. If Jack could have more training, he would win the event. 3. If you had tried harder to get in touch with the professor, you would have done it long ago. 4. After a long discussion Peter managed to persuade his fellow-workers to accept his suggestion.
1. Он долго работал над этой проблемой (a problem), прежде чем добился успеха. 2. Я не уверен, что моя сестра преуспевает как врач. 3. Вашему брату удалось бы занять первое место в соревнованиях, если бы он больше трени ровался.
to discourage somebody from doing something, to encourage, to have the courage to do something
a) Answer these questions.
1. How do you encourage your child to go in for sports?
2. Why do people sometimes discourage their friends from
doing something? .