be deceived by the man’s innocent eyes,” said John. "He doesn’t always do what he has promised to do." 5. When the little girl wanted her grandfather to do something for her, she would ask and ask until finally the old man smiled and did what was wanted of him. 6. As the boy seemed very ner vous about something, the teacher asked him to come and speak to him after school when there was nobody around.
7. “That man is really more than I can understand said Mary angrily. “It’s almost impossible to convince him.”
I!. Fill in the blanks with prepositions and adverbial particles if necessary.
1. It would be wise to take advantage ... the situation
and point......the children why their behaviourwasincorrect.
2. Ann had been a nurse ... three years before she entered ......the Medical Institute. Her experience gives her an ad vantage ... students who haven’t had practice. 3. I’d advise you to book a seat... any train if there’s no chance ... getting
a seat ... a fast train. If a ticket ... a fast train turns ......
the day of your departure, you can have it ... exchange ... yours. 4. If you want your work to be successful, you must first ... all change your attitude ... it. 5. He stared ... the letter ... reading it. 6. We insist ... your giving us your final reply ... next week. The matter is urgent. 7. Highsmith men tioned ... names and facts ... his conversation ... Miss Posie, because he wanted to sound convincing. 8. Why do you insist ... your opinions? Don’t you see you’re wrong? ... your place I’d give ... . 9. “What were you thinking ... giving your wife — a birthday present?” “I’ve got an idea, but I haven’t made ... my mind yet. I’d like to discuss it ... you ... pri vate, because I want it to be a surprise." 10. “What about making some changes ... our plans ... the holidays?” “All right, I’ll think it ... .” 11. Why are you thinking ... some thing instead ... listening... me? 12. You’ve been complaining ... bad toothache. Why do you put ... going ... the dentist?
13. "... your place I’d ask the boy to apologize ... you,” Ann said ... her friend. It’s ... me why you allow him tp behave like that!" 14. Several tourists complained ... tiredness,
so it was decided to put......the hotel ... the hill. 15. Mary
never keeps her papers ... order. They are always mixed ... .
111. Fill in the blanks with the following verbs.
ю put on, to put into, to put off, to put up, to put up
with, to put down to, to put down