V. Pul the verbs in brackets into the correct form of Subjunctive I.
1. “Why do you leave him alone?” the mother asked her son. “He Seels rather upset after what's happened, and a few friendly words (to cheer up) him.” 2. It's a pity John wasn’t there. He (to convince) you in no time. 3. “I’m looking forward to getting the results of the experiment," said the scientist. “It (to be) very useful to compare them with the figures we’ve got now.” 4. Why didn’t you tell me you were cold? I (to shut) the window long ago. 5.1 didn’t know you needed those figures. I (to Jook) them up when I was in the reading-room. 6. Your son’s getting very shy. It (to be) a good idea to send him to a pioneer camp for the summer. It (to do) him a lot of good. 7. I’m glad I left you before five. The traffic (уличное движение) there’s usually very heavy by five. It (to hold) me up. 8. Why do you want to stay with your relatives? In your place I (to prefer) spending a holiday at the seaside. 9. “The child ren have already been out of sight half and hour," said the man. “I’m afraid it (to be) impossible for you to reach them now.”
VI. Answer the following questions. Pay particular attention to the
use of Subjunctive I.
a) I. Suppose the weather was fine next weekend. Where
would you go? Who would you ask to join you? Would you take your children along with you? Why?
2. Suppose you were in a hurry to get somewhere. Would you walk fast? Would you go by bus or by under ground? Would you try to take a taxi?
3. Suppose you were going to the South for a holiday.
Would you prefer to go by train or to fly? What
luggage would you take? Would you take some English books to read in the train (plane)? Why? (Why not?)
4. Suppose your son (daughter, little sister) got a bad mark at school. Would you rely on the teachers to do something about it, or would you take steps yourself? What steps would you take? Would you speak to the child? Would you punish him (her)?
5. Suppose you had a chance to go either to the theatre
or to a concert by a good pianist. Which would you
choose? Why? What about your wife (husband)?
b) 1. When I was in the library the other day, the libra
rian showed me a detective story and a serious novel.
I chose the novel. Which would you have chosen? Why?