a number of, the number of
a) Fill in the blanks with articles.
1. There were ... number of faults in the report. 2. ... large number of young actors were praised highly for their performance. 3. ... number of people engaged in this work has become twice as large as it used to be.
1. A number of students... (to make progress in ...). 2. The number of students... (to increase). 3. A lagre number of discoveries... (to be made since...). 4. The number of discoveries... (to grow).
1. Число людей, знающих иностранные языки, увеличи лось. 2. На собрании был внесен (сделан) ряд разумных предложений. 3. Он нашел несколько (ряд) недостатков в ее работе.
to deal (with)
a) Answer these questions.
1. What kind of people do you prefer dealing with?
2. What does the last English book you read deal with?
3. You have to deal with different kinds of things in your work, don’t you?
b) Make up sentences of your own.
Model: He’s pleasant to deal with, he’s very cheerful.
to be impossible to deal with — to find fault with; to be pleasant to deal with — to keep one’s word; to be easy to deal with — a good-natured person
1. С ней трудно иметь дело. 2. Этот институт не занима ется такими проблемами. Он совсем не связан с сельским хозяйством.
to represent, a representative
a) For the word English substitute the names of as many different nationalities as you know.
By whom were the English represented in the last inter national sports championships?