18. Is it sensible to lose all hope of learning a language after the first difficulties? (Give your reasons.)
d) using the Gerund as an adverbial modifier:
19. What arrangements do you make before starting on a holiday?
20. You book a ticket in advance instead of leaving it to the last day, don’t you?
21. Do you ever go to another town without saying good bye to your friends?
22. What do you do on arriving at the place where you are going to spend your holiday?
23. What do you do to enjoy yourself during a holiday be sides swimming or lying in the sun?
24. You gain a lot by visiting different places of interest, don’t you?
c) using the Gerund as part of the predicate:
25. When did Posie Carrington start acting in theatres?
26. Why did Highsmith stop trying to convince the manager that he could act the part?
27. Why did Highsmith keep trying to get the part?
28. Posie Carrington went on talking to her friends when "Bill Summers” came up to her, didn’t she?
VIII. Complete the following sentences, using Gerunds.
a) 1. Do you prefer...? 2. Did you enjoy...? 3. I don’t
mind... 4. Excuse me... 5. Is the play (the book, the exhibi tion) worth...? 6. He’s busy... 7. Do you mind... 8. I remem ber... 9. The translation (the article, the suggestion) needs... .
b) 1. I think it depends on.... 2. Your son looks forward to ..., doesn’t he? 3. Is he engaged in...? 4. You’re fond of
aren’t you? 5. Who is responsible for...? 6. Are you tired of...? 7. Do any of you feel like...?
c) 1. He takes every op portunity of
2. He had no chance of
приобрести знания заказать билеты в театр подбодрить своего друга
быстро исправить положе ние
быть представленным обменяться мыслями