II). Translate into Russian (§ 6, p. 470).
1. This is the town I used to live in. 2. In the evenings Captain Brown would come to their place and they would play a game or two of chess. 3. She would sit before the open window, watching with interest the busy life of the street.
4. The South-West part of Moscow used to be a dirty place with villages of small houses here and there; now it has tur ned into a fine urban (городской) area with beau.tiful high buildings. 5. The two sisters are no longer as much alike as they used to be. 6. It’s a pity she can’t sing as she used to any longer.
IV. Make up sentences, using the same structures as in the models.
1. She can no longer sing as she used to.
2. In the evenings she would sit down at the piano and sing to us.
I. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct voice and tense-forms. Retell text В after checking it1 (Table 7, p. 500).
A. I. I don’t feel like going out just now because I (to walk) about the garden for over an hour before you (to come). 2. I wonder why all his suggestions (to turn down). They seemed quite sensible. 3. I’m afraid I (to be engaged) at eleven. Come round at exactly twelve. 1 (to wait) for you.
4. The report will be ready in a few minutes. I believe they (to look up) the test figures now. 5. We’re very glad the party is going to be held at last. We (to look forward) to it for a month. 6. Excuse me, I (to look) at you for a long time becau se your face seems familiar to me. I have a feeling that we (to meet) somewhere before. 7. “ (to see) you the play that they (to speak about)?” “Of course, it (to run) for three months already and everybody (to praise) it.”
B. When Frederick II (Frederick the second) (to be) King of Prussia, the Prussian army (to consider) one of the most powerful in the world. It only (to beat) by the Russian army.
When a new soldier (to hire) and (to appear) before (the ».ing, Frederick usually (to ask) three questions:
1. "How old (to be) you?"
2. “How long (to be) you in my service?"
lo be done after the Vocabulary Exercises, Stage II.