IV. Activate the following words and word combinations.
the fact is ..., as a matter of fact
a) Complete, using the word combinations given in brackets.
1. I took him to see nearly all the places of interest. In fact... (to show round the whole town). 2. He hesitated for a week before giving a final reply. As a matter of fact he ... (not to give a proper answer even then). 3. The boy could not leave his brother. The fact was ... (to be responsible for).
1. Вы не можете винить ее за плохую игру. Собственно говоря, она никогда не обучалась игре на рояле. 2. Не уди вительно, что ее везде хвалят. Собственно говоря, она самая популярная актриса сезона.
to prefer, I would rather ... than ...
a) Practise aloud.
1. Do you prefer a single or a double room? 2. I’d prefer a single room. 3. I prefer to wear glasses at work. 4. He’d prefer not to consider the question now. 5. She prefers wearing her hair long. 6. I would rather look it up than try to guess.
b) Make up sentences, using the words and word combinations given below.
Model: I would prefer the upper berth.
to fix the date now. sitting in the front row.
a through train, a more skilled worker, a seat in the stalls, to consider, to go on a journey, to sign, to stay with one’s friends
Model: I would rather take a fast train.
take a slow train than wait another day.
to hire a porter — to carry the luggage myself; to have mY lu&SaSe 9й* ‘n the van — to take it with me: to blame oneself — to find fault with everybody else; to put up with — to punish
c) Answer these questions.
1. What kind of sports do you prefer in summer (in winter) ?
2. Why do you prefer swimming (playing tennis, volley ball, skating)?