хожу ли я на следующей остановке. 13. Прослужив в царской (tsarist) армии много лет, русский писатель Куприн познакомился с жизнью офицеров и солдат, ко торую он в дальнейшем (later) описал в своих произ ведениях.
I. Answer the following questions.
1. What do you know about Mark Twgin?
2. Why did Mark Twain think he would be given a seat if the. railway officials were told his name?
3. What did Mark Twain think when he was suddenly given a whole compartment in a sleeper?
4. Why was Mark Twain given that compartment?
5. Do you think that the railway officials and the young porter were fond of reading?
6. What do you think Mark Twain and his companion talked about after the porter left?
II. Retell the text: a) as It is, b) in the person of Mark Twain's companion, 4c) in the person of the porter.
III. Describe the following scenes.
1. The platform at Salamanca at the moment when Mark Twain appeared on it.
2. The porter making Mark Twain and his companion" com fortable in the compartment.
IV. Dramatize the following episodes from the text, using the words and expressions given below.
1. Mark Twain at the Booking-Office
can I have a single ticket, a sleeper, the train is packed, impossible, don’t you see, to be full up, but I really must ..., what shall I do, I can’t stay here for hours
2. Mark Twain Speaking to the Railway Official
I am sorry, to trouble, some poor little corner, the booking-office, to be sold out, every corner is full, to bother, any longer
3. Mark Twain Speaking to his Companion
to be hurt, to talk nonsense, it’s impossible, a vacant seat, to be popular, to put up with the attitude, to see the result