the result, as a result
a) Think of a beginning.
1. ... As a result Mr Winkle fell on the ice and sat there trying to smile. 2. ... As a result the news spread very quickly. 3. ... As a result he had to put up with the conditions. 4. ... As a result she only came over for a short stay.
fare, to pay the fare(s)
a) Answer the questions.
1. What’s the bus fare from Moscow to Vnukovo?
2. What will the fare come to if you go from Vnukovo to Smolenskaja in a taxi?
3. Do fares increase with distance?
4. How do we pay our fares if there is no conductor on the bus?
1. Вы уже взяли билеты? 2. Я возьму билеты всем.
3. Сколько стоит билет от Москвы до Ленинграда?
I. Answer the following questions, using the Passive Voice and the word combinations in brackets.
at the booking-office (to buy tickets, to sell tick ets)
on the platform (to carry things into the luggage- van)
in the dining-car (to serve dinner, tea, coffee) at the post-office (to fill What was in forms, to send off when you got happening parcels, to make out there? money orders) in the shop (to show fashi onable dresses, to sell shoes and other things) in the office (to discuss an agreement, to translate articles, to prepare do cuments for the confer ence)