с) Маке up sentences, using the words given below.
(the demand, to increase)
(in spite of...)
(travelling expenses, to come to) (a mistake, the words, the main facts)
to point to (a seat, a house, a journal, a train) to serve, service
long service, military service, service in hotels (on rail ways, in shops, in restaurants), the postal service, medical service, to serve as a set (as a table, etc.)
1. There was no one in the shop to serve me. 2. The car has been in service for a long time. 3. Dinner is not served after eight o’clock. 4. I’m at your service. 5. The coat is rather old, but it’ll still serve.
b) Answer these questions.
1. Do you always like the way you are served in shops, hotels, restaurants, etc.?
2. Have you ever served in the army? When was it?
3. Do we pay for medical service in our country?
4. In what way can one serve one’s country?
c) Use all possible tense-forms. Where necessary, add an expression of time to justify the tense-form.
1. He serves in the army. 2. We are usually well served in restaurants.
1. За последнее время обслуживание в гостиницах ста ло гораздо лучше. 2. Мы ничего не платим за медицинское обслуживание. 3. Чем я могу быть вам полезен? 4. Вас обслужат через пять минут.
that’ll do, (that) won’t do, (anything) will do
a) Use a synonymous expression.
1. “Shall I give you a few more examples?" “No, thank you, that’s enough". 2. I think a coat like this will be all right. 3. You needn’t buy another stamp. One is enough.
4. I am sorry, there are no better seats left for the perfor mance. Will this be good enough? 5. You can come at any time.